Daily Liberal



A Dubbo woman’s campaign calling on the RSPCA to come clean about its kill rates has continued to polarise the community.

Earlier this week, companion animal lawyer Anne Greenaway challenged RSPCA NSW chief executive officer Steve Coleman to justify the medical and behavioural tests it uses to decide whether animals in its care should be euthanased.

She also challenged Mr Coleman to a televised debate on the issue.

Ms Greenaway said the RSPCA was duty-bound to explain to the public, many of whom donated to the organisation, the basis for its so-called “temperament test”, which was used to evaluate an animal’s suitability for rehoming.

Readers inundated the Daily Liberal website with opinions on the issue and voted on a poll.

The poll asked “Should the RSPCA answer allegations of engaging in ‘misleading and deceptive’ conduct?”

It resulted in a resounding 400 ‘yes’ votes, equalling 93.9 per cent of the total. The remaining 6.1 per cent, or 26 votes, opted for ‘no’.

Responses on the websites came from all across Australia.

Oils said: “I would love this debate to happen and would watch with interest. With the funds the RSPCA get rehoming rates should be higher. Let’s get this into the open. RSPCA used to get heaps of my dollars. Not any more.”

Harlzs said: “What I want to know, is how long have you worked in these places so you can then have a true view on their kill rate. Not every animal can be rehabilitated. What about dogs that kill innocent people? Do we not put them down? Not every animal can be saved.”

Spongebob said: “I can tell you the RSPCA runs at a loss. There is no profit. It costs more to prepare an animal for adoption than the adoption fee itself. This is then without the cost of wages, running costs etc. Euthanasia is terrible for anyone to deal with, the community seems to forget the animals come from the community. They should be the ones to be held accountable not the RSPCA.”

Dee said: “If Steve Coleman has nothing to hide, as he claims, then he should have no problem accepting the challenge.”

At the time of print the Daily Liberal was awaiting a reply from Mr Coleman’s office regarding Ms Greenaway’s challenge.


 Showing 3 comments
  • DMA

    It’s pretty clear that the RSPCA has a lot to answer for. Not only are people questioning why they have such a high kill rate, in comparision with council run pounds who cooperate with rescue groups, but also in repect to where the priorities of the RSPCA really lay. In this respect the actions of their inspectorate have to be brought under scrutiny as well. Why are acts of cruelty allowed to continue and no prosecutions are conducted? Whether it be horse abuse around Lismore or Grafton, or abandoned dogs in the Hunter Valley, to dangerous dogs being ignored around Lake Macquarie, people and small rescue organisations lodge these complaints with the RSPCA and next to nothing gets done. It then takes a public outcry, from the community, before the authorities finally act, and it’s seldom the RSPCA but the police who do so, unless it’s too late and someone gets mauled as in the Mirrabooka dangerous dog attack scandal, in May of this year, where a young lady was within seconds of being killed even though the RSPCA knew about how bad these dogs were six months prior to the attack.

    All this goes on, and more, yet there is no government agency or ombudsman who keeps the RSPCA accountable for their actions and policies. It’s long overdue there was one as even the police, government officials and politicans, let alone corporations and company directors, are held accountable to one authority or another, whether it be the ICAC, the Police Integrity Commission, ASIC, ACCC, or indeed the Australian electorate.


  • Karen

    RSPCA we would love to hear your response to these questions?? Please give the community some answers. These are reasonable questions and we would like some responses.

  • christy

    Why do we have RSPCA and LDH when we have all the non kill rescue groups that can rehome “all these animals” via a foster care system. NO huge expensive infrastructure, no salaried staff and no wasting taxpayers funded donations.  How irresponsible is it of these “animal welfare groups” to take on Pound Contracts up to 20 at a time  (some work out to be $300 per animal) when they know they cant rehome them and have to kill up to 80% of cats and 40-50% of dogs when there are other groups out there that can take them. Where are their idea’s and cheap desexing to stop the vicious cycle of breed and kill. They have been doing this for over 40 years and apparently see nothing wrong with this. Its time we brough Animal Welfare into the 21st century.


Share This